Life on Dokdo
Home to approximately 34 residents
Since March 1965, when the late Choi Jongduck became the first ever civilian to reside on Dokdo, Dokdo continuously has been home to a number of Korean civilians. Currently, Dokdo is home to Kim Sin Yeol(her husband Kim Sung-do passed away in October 2018), 25 police personnel, three lighthouse managers and two Dokdo Office staffs. (As of April 2021)
The number of visitors to Dongdo (East Islet) since 2005 has reached 2.54 million.
- A daily average of 500 tourists visit Dongdo (As of 2021).
- Prior permission from Ulleung-gun is necessary to visit Seodo.
Number of Visitors by Year
Procedures for Visiting Dokdo
- Dokdo can only be entered through Ulleungdo.
- Operation times, fares, and ports of arrival are subject to change. Please confirm with the respective cruise line companies before making reservations.
- Entry to Dokdo may be restricted depending on weather conditions, and sightseeing is restricted to Dongdo (East Islet).
- Permission from Ulleung-gun is necessary to enter Dokdo for purposes other than tourism.
- For further details, please refer to the “General Guidelines for Visitng Dokdo”.